National Childhood Vaccine Injury Compensation Program

The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Compensation Program was created in 1988 and provides compensation to people found to be injured by certain vaccines. If you believe you or your child were injured by a vaccine, and your injury lasted for more than 6 months after the vaccine was given or resulted in a hospital stay and surgery, you may file a claim with the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.  Compensation varies, depending on the injury, and may include pain and suffering, lost earnings, legal fees, and an amount for past and future care.  You must file your claim within 3 years after the first symptom of the vaccine injury.  Compensation may also be provided for a death.  You must file your claim for vaccine-related death within 2 years from the date of death.  All vaccine injury related timelines are strictly applied.  If you believe that you or a family member has been injured or died as a result of a vaccine, you should follow up sooner rather than later.

A claim is started by filing a petition.  Most people use a lawyer to file a claim.  The claim must address who was injured by the vaccine, which vaccine caused the injury, when the vaccine was given, where the vaccine was given, the type of injury, when the first symptom of the injury appeared, and how long the effects of the injury lasted.  It must include medical records and/or other appropriate documents.

It is generally necessary to hire a life care planner to help formulate your future needs.  ReEntry has many years of experience developing and negotiating life care plans under this program.  We interview and observe the petitioner, review medical records, obtain information from treating providers and experts, research costs for services and equipment, and provide recommendations regarding needs.  Common categories include medical care, surgeries, therapies, medications, supplies, equipment, home modifications, accessible transportation and housing, care assistance, counseling, and vocational services.  ReEntry is also qualified to address lost earnings of the petitioner.

Helpful Links: